Chicano? Mexican? Cuban? Boricuan? Latino? Hispanic? What are you?

by Comic Saenz on April 4, 2012 in Cultura, El Now, Video

NBCLatino asked POCHO Jefe-in-Chief Lalo Alcaraz whether he’s a Chicano or Latino or Mexican or Hispanic.

Lalo was commenting on the Pew Hispanic Center survey everybody is talking about:

Nearly four decades after the United States government mandated the use of the terms “Hispanic” or “Latino” to categorize Americans who trace their roots to Spanish-speaking countries, a new nationwide survey of Hispanic adults finds that these terms still haven’t been fully embraced by Hispanics themselves. A majority (51%) say they most often identify themselves by their family’s country of origin; just 24% say they prefer a pan-ethnic label.

Moreover, by a ratio of more than two-to-one (69% versus 29%), survey respondents say that the more than 50 million Latinos in the U.S. have many different cultures rather than a common culture. Respondents do, however, express a strong, shared connection to the Spanish language. More than eight-in-ten (82%) Latino adults say they speak Spanish, and nearly all (95%) say it is important for future generations to continue to do so.

How about you guys? How do you think of yourself?

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Dave April 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM

An American with Mexican descent

ester April 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I am Mexican! I was born in AmeriKKKa.

someJuan April 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I was born in the USA, but I’m always asked what part of Mexico I’m from. I just say “Alta California.” Get it? They never do.

Mariaeu April 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM

HispanAmericana

DoubleG April 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM

But I prefer to identify myself as the Caramel Cucaracha. This way people know that I am sweet, but I’ll fucking scare the shit out of you when you turn on the lights!

alex valencia April 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I always say i’m american, easy,simple,and straight to the point.

Vic O April 4, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Hard to say for me. My dad was born Puerto Rico and my mom in Mexico. I was born in California and consider myself American of Latin decent. If asked I usually go with my parents place of origin.

El Xicano 719 April 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM

XICANO!!!

Bianca April 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Chicana! Though I do use the word Hispanic.

rica April 6, 2012 at 8:46 PM

This is a tough one! Born in LA. Dad is Argentine via Spain, Mom is Mexican w/Irish grandfather. My short version: So Cal Mexicana.

Aldo April 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Born in the United States, of Chilean (Spanish + Indigena) parents, Italian on my dad’s side, English on my mother’s…apparently I’m a citizen of the world…of humanity!

Perfecto April 11, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I didn’t even answer the question on the censes form because I am a Mexican American not “WHITE” as the form is trying to force me to do. So fuck the government y que viva la raza!!!

marcello maxwell LaCro May 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM

The use of the word “latino” in this hemisphere in incorrect’!!! The land of the “latins” are in ITALIA!! There was the latin league and the land of the latins. A lot of mexicans and central Americans are just “wanna be” white people by using the term “latinos(latinas). I lived in Italy, and the people speak Latin and Italian. I am Latino! I speak english, but does that make me “anglo-saxon”?? Heck no! In Italy, the people have no respect for people calling them-selves “Latino” or “Latina” (in mexico, central america, et al). It is a fact that 60 percent of the english language is derived from latin!

Hys2pid May 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I’m an American by birth, but Mexican by the grace of God! I was born in the second capital of Mexico, which everyone knows is Los Angeles California. I like to think of myself as a global citizen, that lives in America. Why limit your citizenship to just on place? We are all of the world! Amor y paz!

Sammy Lopez MB April 4, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Soy Tejana… which kind of covers everything I could claim! ‘cept my edjucamation from Iowa ;p