Slim began his business career at the age of 12, when he sold his stock in the family’s Virginia Slims tobacco firm and bought his first shares in a Mexican politician.
Of Lebanese-Mexican descent, just like Salma Hayek, Slim beat out Bill Gates and Warren Buffett for richest man in the world in 2007.
Slim is an avid philanthropist who recently donated $3 million to Connect2 Compete, a nonprofit that offers discounted high-speed internet to Latino families in the U.S. He also supports education, health, wildlife conservation, the arts and social welfare.
Plus, we understand he has a great sense of humor and loves rainbows, unicorns and pochos.
Here are the Pocho Ocho things you didn’t know about Carlos Slim:
8. Likes to dress up as the 1% and go slumming
7. Is often confused with the Most Interesting Man in the World at parties
6. Uses real stocks when playing Monopoly with billionaire friends
5. Made his fortune inventing the chorizo-flavored Slim Jim
4. Is Warren Buffett in the boardroom and Jimmy Buffett in the bedroom
3. Was a member of Mexico’s legendary Los Polivoces comedy team
2. Donald Trump is his gardener
And the numero uno Carlos Slim secret is…
He has a private jet for his hat.